Tonight shall be a night of whiskey.

Tonight shall be a night of whiskey.
Too much earnest talk.
Too many emotions.
To put the cherry on it. I'm going to join in a large group of people and go hunt folks down and take their shit.

In a game of course.

So, grab a scotch and let me tell you a story. It's about gaming. And it's about the people you meet rolling dice and telling stories.

First off. I hate school.
As a kid. That it was deemed the fastest way to learn shit, well, pissed me off. I hated it with a passion. Some of it was incredibly interesting. Lots of it was wrong. Some of it went way over my head for years to come.

I liked the people. Well, some of them. Okay. A few of them.
But, i was a gamer at heart.
And in being a gamer. I got to learn. I got to learn how i learn best. By reading, failing, re-reading, swearing and reading it again. Then finally. After i groked the doc. I was ready to do shit.

I could also play in other people's games and learn in how they saw the same thing i saw. I could talk with them about it for hours. As a matter of fact i still will.

Gladly, high school was over.
I knew a great deal. Most of it useless. Some of it important.
But very little of it useful.

But i knew that i could robot along with the rest of the drones. So i went about town. And there is an adventure or two. Buy me a beer some time. I'll tell ya all about it.

(SPOILER ALERT: In the first two books i'm an asshole. In the third, i am a jackass. And while the fourth book is still on the authors table. But, i've been told i'll grow on ya. Like some sort of fungus, or parasite.)

Somewhen in that mish mash of events, we are introduced to Martin.
Martin, much like myself, likes to drink. Coffee that is.
As it was the 90's. A coffee shop is a great background for any good sitcom. It was in Mall parking lot. It was in Tennessee right outside of campus of Austin Peay University. He was a youngish man. With many friends, a few nemisi...nemistiss. And a nice small family.

It was a great place to get away to. I would bring my friends. We would drink 3 dollar coffee drinks. Roll dice and generally have a good time. Martin and i started talking about D&D and history.

He could talk. And by that i mean lecture.

He spent his whole life. Teaching people about the history of the human race. Where we came from. What those people were like. How the world changed and by whom.

Over the course of weeks. We would drink coffee. Talk to Martin, ask questions and learn.

He was brilliant. Everything a good DM would want in a friend. And encyclopedic knowledge of history and it's melee minutiae. In my time there we became fast friends. We had a good time over beer and bratwurst. And i learned a great deal from him. He recolored the world as i saw it in D&D terms.

The way things were and the way they are portrayed in fantasy is a convenient trope, but it's still a trope. And why lie? When they will not believe the truth.

To make one part of a long story less long. He was a life long friend. I enjoyed hearing from him from time to time. He came down and talked at two Gamer Chats moons ago. He didn't care for it.

He past last night.

I am grateful that such men have lived.

Next on the chopping block. Is an other story of games. If the last one was depressing enough. You have done due diligence.

So, i've got this buddy of mine. From way back in the day. I'm old. I get to say that now.

If you ever get to share a 6x4 aluminum box with heat and air with 6 to 12 other guys. You get to know people. And if you scratch me. The first thing you get is a 6 month long rant about the games of the past 4 decades. So, if this is going to last a year or so. You might just end up in a D&D game.

We worked together well. We got along on duty and off. He makes me proud to call him a friend. He's a good man. He was a good soldier. He's a good Dad. And soon. His family will be burying a son. That's everyone's worst nightmare. And it happens more often than people are willing to talk about.

As i mentioned earlier.
Whiskey.

If you rather. If you can.
Pour yourself some Johnny Walker Red Label.
And raise a glass.

Two men.
Made this world a better place.
What they did and what they gave is what we've got.
And we are better for it.

Rough days lie ahead.
But, we have all been through sadness before.
We can go through sadness again.

For it is foolish to morn the men who have died. Rather we should be thankful that such men had lived.

Prost.

P.S. I told ya it was about gaming.

Comments