I try to start each day with a little bit of Dragon Magazine.


I try to start each day with a little bit of Dragon Magazine.
For the past few mornings i have been reading issue 221.

I found one of my favorite topics of a typical D&D DM.
How they handle cantrips.

In this issue Jon Winter wrote The Little Wish : Is a cantrip magical garbage or an overlooked treasure? Uses for the apprentice's favorite (and only) spell.

I can definitely recall reading his words in 1995 as some punk kid who had a game on Saturday. Cantrips are some of the best magics of the D&D realms. Not going a little cantrip mad is just, well.. kinda crazy. It's like being the amputee cymbals player in a band. Sure you can do it, but it's gonna be harder than it looks.

How do you run cantrips in your games?
What is the best use of cantrips you have seen?

Comments

  1. I actually really loved what they did with them in D&D5e. They made them at wills and you get less of them, but they retain use from beginning to end, it's a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I allowed casters a lot of leniency with cantrips and after PO: Spells & Magic came out with orisons, I allowed them to do damage directly (1d3). I also converted them to a nonweapon proficiency, but allowed wizards to cast them as spells. I never had a chance to play a game which allowed for a greater interpretation of cantrips - if I had I might have played wizards more often. But I allowed it in my own games :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to say "I try to start each day with a little bit of Dragon Magazine. " is some seriously excellent life management.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment